When it was approved in 2003 as the first new laser in five years, the FDA granted Allegretto Wave the widest approval range ever initially given to a new laser for both myopic and hyperopic vision correction. Since then, the results have been astoundingly positive.
Allegretto Wave’s revolutionary approach to laser vision correction minimizes problems associated with older generation lasers, such as night vision reduction, glare, and halos.
Allegretto Wave's PerfectPulse Technology™ represents a new approach to laser vision correction. Smart energy control measures and adjusts energy levels in the laser pulse from creation to delivery. High-speed eye tracking charts the eye’s movement 200 times per second. As a result, every laser pulse is completely controlled and accurate, achieving the most accurate level of correction possible.
Why we've chosen the Allegretto Wave:
- PerfectPulse Technology™ - Allegretto Wave’s laser is a precise, controlled beam of energy. To make sure this beam never causes any sort of adverse heating effect on the cornea, Allegretto Wave’s PerfectPulse Technology™ places the laser pulses in such a way that only every fifth pulse overlaps.
- Smart Energy Control - You can have peace of mind that the amount of energy in the laser has been calibrated to exactly the right level. After the beam has been created, it passes through three checkpoints on its way to your eye. At each of these points, the energy level is checked and adjusted if necessary, ensuring that the beam is perfectly attuned at its destination.
- Eye Tracking Technology- Every 4-6 milliseconds, the eye’s location is measured and the internal mirrors of the Allegretto Wave are automatically aligned. Right before the pulse is released, a second check is made to confirm that the eye has not moved. This happens 200 times every second, once for every laser pulse released. If, at any time, the eye moves too quickly to be measured or moves out of range, the laser will stop and wait for the eye to move back into position.
- Speed - Currently, the Allegretto Wave is the fastest vision correction laser available in the United States. At 200 laser bursts per second, it only takes about four seconds of treatment to correct one diopter. Of course, spending less time under the laser means less stress and discomfort for the patient.
- Proprietary Wavefront Technology - One of the most innovative features of the Allegretto Wave is the way it uses wavefront-optimized technology to automatically compensate for the curvature of the cornea. In earlier laser correction systems, the “optical zone,” or area of correction, was centered on the front of the cornea; the result was a flattened circular area that ended with an abrupt edge, causing unwanted side effects like poor night vision, glare, and halos. Understanding that the cornea is a sphere, Allegretto Wave uses a proprietary treatment that is adjusted to the patient’s individual corneal curvature. The Allegretto Wave sends extra pulses to the peripheral cornea area in order to compensate for the angle of the laser. In this manner, the spherical shape of the cornea is preserved to a degree that older lasers simply could not achieve. This compensation, combined with the incredibly small, 1mm size of the laser, produces a smooth, effective optical zone that produces what can only be described as high performance vision.
- Better Night Vision and Glare Control - Allegretto Wave is able to produce the largest available optical zone, virtually eliminating glare and night vision problems associated with older generation lasers.